HCI® Privacy Statement
Welcome to Health Communications, Inc.® (“HCI”) website. We take your privacy seriously. Please read this Privacy Statement to learn how we collect, store, and use the information you share with us. By using HCI’s website and services, you agree to the terms of this Privacy Statement, which governs all information HCI collects about you.
What is Personal Information?
The “Personal Information” refers to information that, individually or combined, can be used to identify, contact or locate a natural person, such as a name, address, phone number, fax number, email address, social security number, bank account and credit card information. HCI does not ask or collect special categories of personal data (this includes details about your race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, political opinions, trade union membership, your health, sex life, sexual orientation or genetic/biometric data) or information about criminal convictions or offenses, and they are not included in the definition of Personally Identifiable information.
What Information Does HCI Collect?
As a necessary prerequisite to our ability to provide certain services, HCI must collect information from you through the registration process. We will ask you to register only once. The type of information we collect depends on how you use our services and website. Below are examples of the types of information we collect. When you register an account on gettips.com, we collect any Personal Information or data you voluntarily provide including:
- User Account Information – When you register for an account or enroll in a course, we collect and store the information you provide including your name, address, email address, password, and assign you a unique identifying number (Participant Number or Trainer Number).
- Course Information – When you enroll in and take a course, we collect data including which courses you start and complete, answers to assessment questions and course notes. Depending on your jurisdiction, we might be required to collect information in the form of Knowledge-Based Authentication (KBA) security questions to ensure your identity when completing the course.
- Jurisdiction Mandated Information – Your jurisdiction (usually a State within the United States) or employer may mandate that we collect additional information such as your Date of Birth, Employee Id, Social Security Number, Driver’s License number and so forth. We do not collect this information as a matter of course for online training unless so directed. For classroom training we request that some of this information be provided unless your instructor directs you to do otherwise.
- Payment Information – If you make purchases, we collect certain information about your purchase such as your name and zip/postal code as necessary to process your order. You must provide certain payment and billing information, including your name, credit card information, billing address, and zip/postal code.
- Communications and Support – If you contact us for support or to report a problem or concern (regardless of whether you have created an account), we collect and store your contact information, messages, and other information about you such as your name, email address, location, operating system, IP address, and any other information you provide or that we collect through automated means. We use this data to respond to you and research your questions or concerns, in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
HCI also indirectly collects usage information about your visit to our website. We collect some information automatically, such as information about your device, your general location, and which service or website pages you interact with or use.
Special Note to Parents/Guardians: This website is designed for individuals who sell, serve or consume beverages containing alcohol. State law within the United States restricts or prohibits the sale or service of alcohol to those under 18, and none of our content is designed for those under 18. In general, content for this site is not suitable to children in any country, and we do not solicit or collect Personal Information from minors. Any information provided by those individuals will be actively removed when we are made aware. We care about your children's privacy and encourage you to talk to your children about safe and responsible use of their Personal Information while using the Internet.
How Does HCI Use the Information It Collects?
HCI uses your Personal Information to allow us to tailor services for you and your organization, to help us create website content most relevant to you, and to alert you to product upgrades, special offers, updated information and other new services from HCI. We also use your work affiliation information to provide organization-specific services.
What is HCI’s Legal Basis for Using the Information?
We may use your Personal Information in order to perform the contract we entered into with you. If you failed to provide any information required to perform the contract, we may not be able to perform the contract and we may have to cancel a product or service you have with us. Please note that if you choose not to register, many of the services within the website will not be open to you and your web experience will be limited.
HCI may use your Personal Information based on your consent. By providing HCI your Personal Information, you are actively agreeing to interact with us, and giving us consent to use your Personal Information. You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us. Please remember that withdrawing your consent does not remove the legal basis to use your information to perform the contract where applicable.
When you access gettips.com or other services provided by HCI, we automatically collect certain information including:
- System Information – This is technical information about your computer or device including IP address, device type, operating system, browser and other system data.
- Usage Information – This includes statistics about your interactions with our website and services, including courses accessed, time spent on pages, pages visited, features used, and other data regarding use.
- Geographic Information – This is an approximate geographic location, such as country, city, and geographic coordinates, calculated based on your IP address.
Does HCI Disclose the Information to Third Parties?
HCI does not share your Personal Information to third parties, except when such disclosure is reasonably necessary to: (a) comply with the law or legal process; (b) protect or defend rights or property of HCI and others; (c) enforce the Terms of Service or this Privacy Statement; or (d) respond to the claims that the content of any communication violates the rights of others.
How Can I Manage My Personal Information?
You can manage your Personal Information through our website. You can log in to our website to access, change, or correct your Personal Information. You can also contact Technical Support to access or update your Personal Information, or to delete your account. Any Personal Information collected by jurisdiction or employer mandate (e.g., Date of Birth, Social Security Number, etc.) is never presented through our online services for any reason. Because we do not display this information visually, it may not be edited or removed except by written request.
If you want to manage emails or other communications, you can update your preferences through our website. We provide the text of any retained emails through our online services to any registered customer.
How Long Does HCI Keep My Information?
HCI will retain your Personal Information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you with services, to maintain a record of your transactions for financial reporting, audit, and compliance purposes and to comply with HCI’s legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce its agreements, and as otherwise permitted by applicable law. We retain any information related to any certification we grant as a result of our courses that is necessary to validate this certification in perpetuity unless directed by legal authorities.
How does HCI store and secure my Personal Information?
HCI is headquartered in the United States, and stores information on its own servers. HCI has its own information security procedures designed to protect your Personal Information. This is done through a variety of privacy and security policies, processes and procedures. No method of electronic storage is absolutely secure and therefore, HCI cannot guarantee absolute security. With any internet-enabled system, there is always a risk of unauthorized access, so it is important to protect your password and to contact us if you suspect any unauthorized access to your account.
HCI collects and transfers from the European Union to the U.S. the Personal Information only with your consent, to perform a contract with you, or to fulfill compelling legitimate interest of HCI in a manner that does not outweigh your rights and freedoms.
I live in European Economic Area; What are My Rights?
Under the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (also known as GDPR), if you are an individual protected by the GDPR, you have the following rights:
- Access: you may receive information about our processing of your personal data and a copy of your personal data.
- Correct: you may request us to update or correct inaccurate data we have about you. You can also do this by accessing your information as described above.
- Delete: you may ask us to delete your personal information. See above for more detail.
- Opt-out: you may change your subscription setting at any time and stop receiving any direct marketing communications as described above.
- Transfer: you may ask us to transfer your personal data in a machine-readable format to a third party of your choice.
- Restrict: you may ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information under certain circumstances.
- Object: you may object to our reliance on our legitimate interest as the basis of our processing if you believe it impacts your fundamental rights and freedoms.
- Complain: you have a right to submit a complaint to the supervisory authority in the Member State in which you are located. The list of Data Protection authorities and their contact information are available on the European Commission’s website.
If you wish to exercise any of the rights above, please contact us via the contact information listed below.
How Can I Contact HCI?
If you have any questions about this Privacy Statement or Personal Information HCI has about you, or if, for some reason you believe HCI has not adhered to the principles stated here in our Privacy Statement, please email us or contact us at 1501 Wilson Blvd, Ste 500, Arlington VA 22209.
Other Privacy FAQ:
How exactly does registration information help you provide me better content?
Today, the Health Communications, Inc. site is comprised of thousands of web pages of content. That's equivalent to dozens of very thick novels. Finding what you need among those pages can be intimidating. But when you tell us about yourself - for example, that you are an F&B professional – we can suggest content you might find useful. The better we know you, the more specific information we can suggest.
How can I quit registration before finishing, and what happens to the information I've already typed in?
If you begin a registration form, then decide you do not want to finish it, just select another option on the menus without clicking on the "register" button first. You will be sent to the page you select. None of the information entered on the registration form will be saved.
Can you tell me more about privacy on the Internet?
We recommend that you visit the U.S. Federal Trade Commissions website for detailed explanations of the issues.
Copyright 2018 - Health Communications, Inc.